Whenever you update Windows certain system settings are automatically changed and this could affect your HP scanner. Here are some simple troubleshooting steps you can follow to fix the scanner issue:
• Restart your computer
• Remove all the cables and reconnect them
• Run the Microsoft printing troubleshooter
• Reinstall the latest HP printing software
• Perform a Windows System Restore
• Check for HP Printer compatibility issues
If the steps given above do not resolve the issue then you should call the HP printer customer care phone number and speak to a trained professional about how to implement some advanced technical solutions to fix the scanner.